Friday, June 5, 2009

Portfolio Presentations

I work at a school where, in order to graduate from the eighth grade, students have to write a paper and do a portfolio presentation for a panel of judges about the relationship between colonialism / colonization, government corruption, deforestation, and climate change in Haiti or Kenya. They learn about US contributions to poverty in those countries, and 2004 Nobel Peace Prize Winner Wangari Maathai's work on reforestation in Kenya. They speak about the ramifications of global warming, and the importance of stopping deforestation as one part of slowing climate change.

That is just exactly the kind of school I would like to work at.

1 comment:

  1. I also work at a school that I love, with children who very much deserve to be in a peaceful place where academics are one part of a complex relationship with them, their families, and the larger neighborhood.

    It kind of rocks, doesn't it? I would love to hear more about your school...

    I'm glad I stumbled on the blog.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete